18 March 2014

Garry the Grey

Written for Alexa and Angus on the occasion of the World's Greatest Shave, 2014 and performed at Bogarts in Parap.

Life can be hard work
When a strange genetic quirk
Sends you grey before the age of seventeen.
Instead of flowing raven locks,
I was the teenage silver fox.
The youngest grey nomad the world had ever seen.

Now all the girls might give a cheer
For George Clooney or Richard Gere
In a charming smooth romantic comedy.
But can't you see?
You might tell me it's distinguished,
Like a gentleman who's English.
But it's still fifty shades of rubbish to me.

Salt and pepper. A speckled spray.
Even Gandalf the Grey.
So many names to hurt, malign and injure.
But whatever I've been called
I'm just grateful I'm not bald.
And I thank the Lord I'm not a freaking ginger.

Make of that what you will.



Garry with 2 Rs

No comments: